© 2024 WFSU Public Media
WFSU News · Tallahassee · Panama City · Thomasville
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Leon's school board chair says the district won't defend teachers accused of violating state law

A woman in a bright yellow shirt smiles against a black backdrop
WFSU TV
Leon County school board chair Alva Swafford Smith

One Leon County School Board member says the district will not defend teachers and administrators accused of violating new state laws governing what they cannot teach, discuss and use in the classroom. Alva Swafford Smith’s (formerly Striplin) comments were made earlier this month during a school board meeting after Leon Superintendent Rocky Hanna reportedly told board members that he was under investigation by the Florida Department of Education.

Smith made her comments toward the end of the school board’s Jan. 10th meeting. At the time, the state’s investigation into Hanna’s personal views and decision-making as superintendent was not widely known. The Tallahassee Democrat broke the news of the investigation on Jan. 25th.

Hanna says he believes the investigation came after a member of the local Moms for Liberty chapter complained to the governor’s office about a letter Hanna sent to teachers at the start of the school year. In that letter, Hanna encouraged teachers to “do you” and continue to teach the state’s standards as they’ve always done. Hanna also wrote to teachers that the district and its lawyers would defend them should they be sued.

“Unfortunately, over the last year, our schools have become an easy target for politicians looking to advance their own agendas and political careers, which has caused mistrust and fear around public schools and what our teachers are teaching. Having said this, let me be clear about one thing-- I will always have your back! I realize this is improper grammar but, “You do You”! Continue to teach the standards just as you have always done and do not worry for one minute about naysayers political and others who are trying to mislead people and control what you can and cannot say in your classroom. If someone wants to come after you they will have to go through us and our attorneys. Whether you are a member of the union or not, you are covered by our professional liability policy. We will advocate for you and we will defend you,” Hanna wrote in the August 8, 2022 letter.

The letter to teachers arrived after the state banned certain discussions around race, history, gender identity and sexuality in the classroom and created a pathway for teachers and administrators to be sued over violations.

“I believe it is now necessary to unequivocally state that all instructional staff are obligated not only to teach the standards but to follow the law,” said school board chair Smith at the Jan. 10th meeting of the board.

“While I am confident that each member of our staff understands their obligations under the education code and D-O-E rule, please be advised contrary to recent communication that if there is an intentional violation of statutes and information is taught which is prohibited by law, you will not be covered under our insurance policy, nor will our attorneys represent anyone in our district who has intentionally broken the law,” Smith said she wanted to clear up “questions about the district’s liability policy.”

Hanna has called the investigation “meritless.” In a letter sent to Hanna in December, the Florida Department of Education noted he was being investigated for whether his personal views have improperly interfered in his job as Superintendent of Leon County Schools.

Hanna is one of a dozen superintendents that initially ran afoul of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration over their refusal to comply with DeSantis’ effort to ban local school mask mandates. Of the dozen superintendents that refused the mask mandate ban, most have either been fired from, or retired and stepped down from their positions.

Hanna's letter to teachers