Zimmerman back behind bars awaiting new bond hearing

Jun 4, 2012

George Zimmerman's attorney says his client was confused and fearful when he allowed his wife to mislead court officials about the couple's finances.

Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O' Mara, made the statements on a website run by Zimmerman's legal team.

Seminole County Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester ordered Zimmerman to turn himself in after learning the defendant had told the court he had no money when, in fact, his website had taken in more than $135,000 thousand dollars.

Now that Zimmerman is back behind bars with his bond revoked in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, the biggest hit may be to his credibility. 

"It focuses everybody's attention back on the credibility of George Zimmerman, which really is at the heart of the matter in this case because it is only George Zimmerman's version of the facts which say that Trayvon Martin attacked him,"  said Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump, adding that Lester's ruling is the most important in the case so far.

But Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, insisted his client had made a mistake due to fear, mistrust, and confusion.  But he also told First Coast News that Crump had a point.

"Certainly, as Mr. Crump said, there is a credibility question that now needs to be sort of rehabilitated by explaining away what they were thinking when they did what they did, if that's what happened. "

O'Mara is asking for another bond hearing.  He said that because Zimmerman has twice surrendered to law enforcement when asked, he is not a flight risk.

The judge in the case, Kenneth Lester,  says he will hold a hearing so Zimmerman can explain himself. Zimmerman is facing second-degree murder charges in the case. He has said he shot Martin in self-defense.

The  case has brought national attention to the central Florida community of Sanford where the shooting took place, and also to the state's "Stand Your Ground" law.