From the Madison County Sheriff's Office - The Florida Highway Patrol will be shutting down Interstate 10 in Madison County from the 262 mile maker (Lee exit) to the 275 mile marker in Suwannee County due to zero visibility caused by dust from adjacent fields. Deputies are responding to multiple downed trees from the strong winds throughout the county.
An approaching weather system is leading schools to cancel classes early across the Big Bend. The region’s two public universities along with Tallahassee Community College are planning early departures and some school districts have cancelled after-school activities.
- Due to the weather, Florida State University and Florida A&M University will close at 12:15pm. TCC will close at noon.
- Wakulla County Schools says it will be releasing its students early. The middle and high schools will release at 12:15 p.m., while the elementary schools will be released at 1:15 p.m.
- Leon County Schools will close one hour early: high schools at 12:50, elementary at 1:50, middle schools at 2:50. All after school activities are cancelled.
- Gadsden County will release students early--times to be determined by school.
- Calhoun County Schools will release students beginning at 12:30 p.m.
- Jefferson Somerset students will be released at 12:30 p.m.
- Bay County Schools are closed.
- Jackson County Schools are closed
- Thomas County Schools in South Georgia are closed.
The closures and early releases comes amid an approaching storm system that’s expected to produce thunderstorms along with strong wind gusts and the possibility of tornados. strong wind gusts and possible tornados.
Storms are expected to reach the Panama City area between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and Tallahassee between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.