Victims Of Alleged Abuse At Dozier Want Feds To Grant Nelson Request For Probe
U.S. Senator Bill Nelson is calling on the U.S. Justice Department to continue a probe into the Infamous Dozier School for Boys, after recent findings show there were at least 50 graves at the North Florida reform school----that’s 19 more than were found when the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigated two years ago. Some say the involvement of federal officials is key to addressing what really happened to prevent the state’s “cover-up of the truth.”
Governor Rick Scott says he’s looking into whether there needs to be a further probe into claims of abuse and deaths at the Dozier School for Boys. He says he wants to do the right thing for the families involved. That would likely mean another investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, but 66-year-old Robert Straley, who claims he was abused at the school years ago, says that would be a waste of time.
“It needs to be done by an outside source. Certainly not to be investigated by the same people who investigated it before. It can't be impartial," remarked Straley. "The FDLE is the investigative arm of Florida. They’re not going find Florida guilty of anything.”
In the FDLE’s 2010 report, they did not confirm or deny any claims of abuse at the school, since it opened in 1900. The Department of Juvenile Justice closed the school last year.
Stay tuned to Friday's Capital Report to hear more on this story! CLICK HERE for the story.
For more news updates, follow Sascha Cordner on twitter @SaschaCordner.