Week 15: Shopping Tips for Healthy Eating
Farai Chideya tours a grocery store with nutritionist Rovenia Brock, aka Dr. Ro, for some aisle-by-aisle advice on how to shop for a healthful diet. Brock is the author of Dr. Ro's Ten Secrets to Livin' Healthy.
Dr. Ro's Shopping Tips:
• The supermarket is where fitness starts. Never go food shopping when you're hungry -- eat before you go, and fill up with water.
• We should be less interested in eating until we're full than eating good food, and understanding that it's for the purpose of nourishment. The goal is to be a member of the lean plate club, not the clean plate club.
• Deli: Avoid the "eye appeal" items like chips and rich food. Go with sliced turkey -- not the fried chicken, the ribs or the macaroni and cheese. Avoid processed luncheon meat, which usually has more sodium and fat. Get turkey meat that's sliced off a real turkey breast.
• Bakery section: My best advice? Walk on by!
• Cereal aisle: There's too many items that are frosted, cocoa or fruity... It's not a place to linger.
• Produce section: This is where you want to hang out -- you want to live here. Have as much color as possible in your diet.
Copyright 2022 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.