voter purge

Jessica Palombo / WFSU-FM

Florida won’t be moving ahead with a planned purge of the state’s voter rolls.  Secretary of State Ken Detzner discussed the change of plan Thursday with local elections supervisors.

A sweeping purge of suspected non-citizens from the state’s voter rolls two years ago was thwarted by lawsuits. The state eventually got permission to cross-reference a federal government database but now that won’t be happening.

Secretary of State Ken Detzner says he’s delaying the purge until next year because that federal database is currently changing.

Local lawmakers from more than 20 states convened the first ever Voting Rights Project Policy Summit in Washington D.C. this week. Representatives from both Georgia and Florida were among those who attended the summit created by the left-leaning group America Values First.

Georgia’s House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams, the Summit’s moderator, says one main goal they looked at is how to advance legislation through Republican-led Legislatures. The answer, she says? Compromise.

Jessica Palombo / WFSU News

Florida election officials are ready to renew their effort to remove non-citizens from the voter rolls now that the federal government has granted access to a Homeland Security database. But some Democratic lawmakers question the merits of the so-called “voter purge” after last year’s controversial attempt flagged about 180,000 eligible voters for removal. 

On Monday, Secretary of State Ken Detzner made the latest in a series of presentations about the new non-citizen removal effort nicknamed Project Integrity.

LHatter / WFSU News

Florida’s ongoing tussle with voting rights took a front seat at Tallahassee’s 10th annual mayor’s summit Tuesday.

In the past four years, the Scott administration has put a stop to the semi-automatic restoration of felon voting rights, and tried to purge the state’s voter rolls of non-citizens. Those topics divided the crowd. Nita Kirkpatrick of Tallahassee says she has friends who split their residency between Florida and other states and vote in both places:

Voters cast their ballots.
Sascha Cordner / WFSU-FM

As the state looks to renew its effort to remove non U.S. citizens from Florida’s voter rolls, Secretary of State Ken Detzner will be traveling the state next month to get input from local supervisor of elections. But, some say they're skeptical about the plan.

Senator Arthenia Joyner
Florida Senate

A Democratic state lawmaker is blasting Gov. Rick Scott for a renewed effort to remove non-citizens from state voter rolls. Sen. Arthenia Joyner (D-Tampa) says the so-called “voter purge” disproportionately targets Democratic-leaning minority voters.

Several minority-advocacy groups in Florida are conducting large-scale voter-registration and education drives ahead of the state's registration deadline on Oct. 9. The groups have been going full throttle since June, when a judge struck down Florida’s new restrictions on third-party voter drives.

The groups, which represent Hispanic, black and other minority voters, announced their registration efforts on Wednesday.

The candidate for a Florida Senate seat in Pinellas County, Chris Pennington, says there’s a high possibility non-citizens are influencing Florida’s state elections. Pennington says foreigners could create a company in Florida to donate to political campaigns. But he also believes Florida Governor Rick Scott has the power to stop the potential outside influence. When Pennington registered as a candidate he says he noticed a loop-hole in the donation election laws allowing for outsiders to sway American politics.

Florida election officials finally have access to a federal immigration database it plans to use to screen voters. The Department of State announced on Thursday plans to re-start efforts to purge Florida’s voter rolls of ineligible voters.

The state of Florida will continue purging illegally registered voters from its rolls ahead of the general election in November. On Tuesday, Secretary of State Ken Detzner said Florida has made progress toward accessing a federal non-citizen database , called SAVE, during the last few days.

Detzner says the original list of about 180,000 suspicious names that the state generated last year will not be used.

Pages