The state of Florida will continue purging illegally registered voters from its rolls ahead of the general election in November. On Tuesday, Secretary of State Ken Detzner said Florida has made progress toward accessing a federal non-citizen database , called SAVE, during the last few days.
Detzner says the original list of about 180,000 suspicious names that the state generated last year will not be used.
“Lists, as you know, like anybody’s Christmas card list, gets old," he said. "Addresses change and names change and status of individuals change, so, no, we’re going to go back and actually rerun our state voter registration list again against the [Department of] Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles list, and then, once we come up with those individuals who might be non-citizens, run it through SAVE again.”
In June, the U.S. justice department had sued Florida to stop the purge, but a federal judge said the state was within its rights to remove people who were never legally registered in the first place.