Remembering Orlando Shooting, Fla. Officials Express Condolences To Las Vegas Victims

Oct 2, 2017

Florida officials are expressing their condolences at the loss of life during the latest worst mass shooting in modern American history. Sunday night’s Las Vegas Shooting has left at least 58 people dead and more than 500 injured.

Before this, Florida had the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history, when a gunman killed 49 people and injured more than 50 others in last year’s Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando. And, Governor Rick Scott says no matter where it is, it’s always heartbreaking.

“I can’t imagine what happened last night in Las Vegas. I mean, I think back to the families I talked to after Pulse, and it’s just so senseless. It’s clearly evil, and my heart goes out to every family that’s impacted. I’m praying for the people who are injured, and I hope they all survive. But, it had to be traumatic to be there.”

Scott also held a moment of silence for the Las Vegas victims Monday, during this year’s Latin American Summit in Miami. Attorney General Pam Bondi also did the same at a Human Trafficking Summit in Orlando.

“The largest mass shooting in our nation’s history happened in Las Vegas, and it was horrible,” she said. “And, if we could have a moment of silence, please, for all of those victims.”

Meanwhile, officials say the Las Vegas shooting is even worse than the Boston Marathon Bombing in terms of the injury toll. Three people died in that 2013 bombing and more than 260 people were injured.

For more news updates, follow Sascha Cordner on Twitter: @SaschaCordner.